Over the course of the last couple months, S&C implemented a quality management system with the ultimate goal of becoming ISO 9001:2008 certified. A certification assessment was recently conducted to ensure that this system addresses the proposed scope of the ISO...
Marine Control Systems
Propulsion Control Application
The Propulsion Control Application (PCA) is responsible for
- Safe control of the propulsion plant for reliable maneuvering of marine vessels
- Economic operation by optimizing engine/propeller load control
- Overload protection
PCA is designed for propulsion plants consisting of a controllable pitch propeller and multiple plant configurations (e.g., multiple engines on one gearbox, multiple propeller plants, and redundant propulsion solutions).
PCA is a PLC-resident program for PLCs compliant with the IEC 61131 standard.
Power Management and Load-Shedding System
The Power Management and Load-Shedding System manages electric power generation and distribution to ensure robust operation of vessel power networks. These systems function to guarantee continuity of service by being properly designed for system structure, specifications of system components, and organization of system control.
Functional objectives include
- Maintaining nominal frequency within tolerance
- Managing rotating reserves while considering possible subsequent incidents
- Predetermining emergency load shedding to stabilize all potential islanding
- Implementing necessary and adequate load shedding